The European Union and the United Kingdom has negotiated the terms of the UK's withdrawal from the EU, commonly referred to as the Withdrawal Agreement (the Brexit deal). According to this, after the UK leaves the EU on 31 January 2020, EU law will continue to apply in the UK until the 31 December 2020. The period between 31 January 2020 and 31 December 2020 is called the transition period. During this period the free movement of people will continue.


What you will need to enter the UK will not change until at least 2021. EU citizens can continue to travel to the UK for holidays or short-term trips (up to 3 months), without needing a visa. There will be no change to travel document requirements this year, which means you will be able to enter the UK with your valid Portuguese ID Card and / or Passport at least until 31 December 2020.

If you begin living in the UK before 31 December 2020 and have status under the EU Settlement Scheme, you will be able to use Portuguese identity card to enter the UK until at least 31 December 2025.

For more information, please visit Visting the UK after Brexit.


Almost all EU citizens who arrive before the end of the transition period (31-12-2020) and intend to stay in the UK after this date must take action and apply for either settled or pre-settled immigration status. The deadline to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme is 6 months after the end of the transition period, which means the current deadline to apply, is 30 June 2021.

EU citizens are required to obtain settled status to keep residing legally in the UK after 1 July 2021 and to have access to the job market, social services and other British public services. Failure to apply under this scheme would mean that any future residence in the UK will be unauthorised and could be unlawful.


Applications to the EU Settlement Scheme can be submitted here. Part of the application process entails the use of the EU Exit: ID Document Check app, available for Android and iOS devices (iPhone 7 onwards).

Further information on the EU Settlement Scheme may be accessed via the Home Office webpage (in Portuguese and in English). The following educational videos are also available:

1. Submission of applications for settled status (in Portuguese):

2. Use of the “EU EXIT: ID Document Check App”, available for Android and iOS devices (iPhone 7 onwards) and mobiles with NFC (“Near-Field Chip”) technology (in English):

For inquiries regarding applications to the EU Settlement Scheme, please contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre on 03001237379.


Please ensure your identification documents are valid and all your paperwork relating to your residency in the UK is retained. Personal details should be updated with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). We also advise you to register at this Consulate General.


The Consular Contact Centre, created to support the Portuguese community amid Brexit, is open for queries from Monday to Friday, between 09:00 and 17:00. Please call 02036368470 or email

The following informational videos made available by the European Union Delegation may also be of use:

Rights of EU citizens in the UK after Brexit

Rights of Portuguese workers in the UK after Brexit

Rights of Portuguese families and students in the UK after Brexit


To receive the latest updates from the British Government via email, please register here.


The Home Office has developed a guide for employers to assist employees and their families in their compulsory application to the EU settlement scheme, which can be accessed here.


This website offers generic information about Brexit, how it may impact you as a Portuguese national and your family living in the UK, and what you need to do next. It summarises key issues and is purely for information purposes and has no legal force. It does not provide any legal interpretation of UK and EU legislation and it is not meant to replace specialised legal advise on UK immigration legislation. Nationals are advised to keep updated by contacting the relevant British authorities and / or seek independent and specialized legal advise if needed. 

  • Share